Manilva Monuments and Museums
Saint Ana's Church
Saint Ana's Church situated at the heart of the town, is the architectural highlight of Manilva. This monument was originally established in 1530 by the Duke of Arcos and was among the largest buildings of Spain. The church would house the magnificent image of Santa Ana la vieja and the effigies of Nuestra Señora del Rosario and el Santo Cristo de la Mar. Unfortunately, in a fierce earthquake of 1722, the church met its fate and got completely destroyed. Over a half century later, in 1776, people of Manilva re-established the church at a beautiful site called Calle Iglesia. The original image of Santa Ana la vieja is said to be excavated from the grounded church and was brought to the new building. Later, during civil war of 1936, the image was completely destroyed.
Castillo de la Duquesa
Castillo de la Duquesa was established by Francisco Paulino of Seville in 1767 during the rule of The Spanish King Carlos III for protecting the coast from invaders and intruders, customs control, and using it as a base for seaborne landings for infantry, artillery and cavalry forces. At night, when it is lighted up, the beauty of Manilva coastline strikingly doubles. This place is widely famous for numerous delicious fish restaurants and traditional Spanish cuisines. Excavation work in 1989 revealed the structure and lifestyle of the contemporary village: A hot house with under-floor heating system and a bath house with two big and spacious chambers have been found towards the South of the castle; to the west of the bath house, a Roman Villa stands still between the main road and the castle; and a Roman graveyard in the North of the barracks.
Excavations work once again started in 2007, several extensive roman ruins have been found which is called to be the most important in the whole of Andalucia and represent historical and cultural significance of historic times. Recently the castle is used for exhibitions of cultural events and used as trainee workshops and municipal offices.
Defensive Tower, Punta Chullera was built between 15th and16th centuries. It is standing by the beach and nearest to Information Office. Torreguadiaro town is very close to it. Several similar towers can be seen standing along the Costa del Sol. These towers were established to send warning signal to the large castles, which were situated behind the mountains, about incoming vicious pirates or strangers by lighting fire so that precautionary steps could be taken at the earliest. These castles are still standing there fearlessly. Some nice medieval structures can also be found in places such as Jimena de la Frontera, Mijas, and Casares which are very near to Punta Chullera.