Nerja Places of Interest
Nerja's Cave .- It is about 800mts from the coast on a small elevation in the Sierra de Almijara, about 5km from the city center. Having a dimension hitherto discovered of nearly 5 km of galleries in a horizontal plane, the area open to the public has with maximum length of about 700mts. and represents the third of the area explored so far. It was discovered in January 1959 by a group of local youths who named it the Mine Cave. The most attractive thing of the cave is in the Hall of Cataclysm and it is the huge column of 45mts high and 18mts in diameter, is considered the world's largest. The many different columns, stalactites, stalagmites, cave paintings, archaeological sites and remains found, cover a period between 22,000 and 1600 years b. C, and turn the cave into a primary geological element. It is considered a Historic-Artistic Monument and also as a World known Cultural Interest. The cave is also famous for the celebration of the International Festival of Music and Dance, which is held annually during the month of July.
The Balcony of Europe .- This is an Arab fortress of the IX century, and next to it it was ordered to build in the XVII century the Tower, known since then as Tower Guards. In 1885 on his visit to the town, to check the damage caused by a major earthquake, the king Alfonso XII was captivated by the beautiful views as seen from the viewpoint, then he proposed that the name was changed to the Balcony of Europe. Currently the beautiful coastal view stands out and enters between the beaches of Salón and Calahonda. It is an obligatory place to visit among the variety of places offered by the city.
Church of the Saviour .- The current structure dates from 1697, was expanded and renovated during the XVII century. The church has three naves, the central domed wooden braces in pairs, in Mudejar style and the square tower built in 1724 and subsequently reformed. The interior is characterized by the decoration of paintings of XVII century, the mural of the Annunciation by Francisco Hernandez and the Christ of Bronze, by Aurelio Teno.
Chapel of Sorrows .- Inside you can see the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows, patron saint of Nerja. The Hermitage is a small temple of a nave, built in XVII century in Baroque style, the interior is decorated with frescoes of XVII century, belonging to the Granada school.
Church of Nuestra Senora de las Maravillas .- It is located in Maro, in a square next to a veranda overlooking the sea. The church was built in the XVII century, and it was then reformed, has one nave with a wooden framework, its facade is simple, with a large ceramic altar with the image of the Virgin and draws attention to the main gate is narrow and tall, pointed.
Church of San Miguel .- It is a small church built in the XVII century, it is baroque Moorish. The main altar in the form of vault is painted with images of the apostles. The church is located in a North Square of Old Town.
Aguila Aqueduct.- It is located near the N340, in the Barranco de la Coladilla, was built in the XIX century to bring water to the mills of the sugar factory, it is in perfect condition and is still used for local irrigation. It has four floors with 38 brick arches overlapping arches, the facade is decorated with horseshoe arches Mudejar style. There are temples on the top floor and central with an inscripción that says "Pure and Clean Conception".
Paraje Natural de Maro Cliffs.- Also known as Cerro Gordo, extends along the coast about 12kms to the North of Nerja to the province of Granada, is made up of magnificent cliffs and coves, forming an impressive landscape. It is a very rich area in flora and fauna.