It goes back to the Neolithic period, as evidenced by cave paintings from the Cueva de la Pileta and the remains found in excavations in the old city. According to the texts of the historian Plinio, situated in the VI century b.C. a Celtic settlement which they named Arunda and one in the Iberian nearby Acinipo, which was one of the most important cities of Andalusia.
After periods of different lengths were settled Phoenicians, Greeks and Carthaginians, being overcome these by the Romans in the Second Punic War and they settled in Arunda and built the castle of Laurus (the Laurel), with the fall of the Roman Empire region was in the hands of the Swabians, Byzantines and Visigoths to the Muslim invasion of the peninsula, who surrendered the city without a battle in 713, to be renamed IZN-Rand Onda (city castle), became the capital of the provinces where al-Andalus was divided.
After the fall of the Caliphate of Cordoba, the Berbers made Ronda Taifa kingdom until 1066, which became part of the kingdom of Seville for nearly four centuries, it was dominated by different African tribes, including the Nazari kingdom of Granada it was during this last period where the city and the county were better known, as it was an important border enclave. The city was conquered after a long siege by Christian forces of King Ferdinand in May 22nd 1485.
With the expulsion of the Moors in 1609, the region suffered a period of decline that lasted until XVIII century. There it was when they began to build some of the most important symbols of the city, the New Bridge and the Bullring. After the disasters caused by the French invasion, it began slowly to recover its economy to the opening of the railway in 1891, which served to achieve its true economic development. The Arab presence remains yet clearly defined in the face of the city, being possibly the best preserved in Andalusia.