The local government has done a great job in preserving a good number of San Pedro de Alcantara monuments & museums. The conditions of historical monuments here are way much better compared to those in other coastal towns in Malaga, which have succumbed to the lure of rapid commercialization.
Many coastal towns in the province have been experiencing rapid economic growths as a result of the growing popularity of their beaches, which draw tides of visitors every year. Unfortunately, this has also deprived historical sites in these towns from much needed attention. But not here in San Pedro de Alcantara.
Despite the presence of luxurious districts nearby, like Marbella, Puerto Banus, and the Guadalmina Golf Course, many historical sites still stand. Here are some of them:
Termas romanas de Las Bóvedas - These remnants of ancient Roman baths can be found near the Guadalmina River, some 500 meters from the Basílica de Vega del Mar and only about 50 meters from an ancient watchtower. The basilica, the watchtower and these baths are substantial proofs that Romans occupied this region in the past.
Basílica paleocristiana de Vega del Mar - This archaeological find was discovered in the early twentieth century while workers were planting eucalyptus trees. It is one of the oldest basilicas belonging to the earliest Christians in the area. Also found in the vicinity was a necropolis made up of nearly 200 tombs.
Torre almenara de Bóvedas - This is the name given to the watchtower mentioned earlier.
El Trapiche de Guadaiza - Widely recognized as the first industrial project in the town of San Pedro de Alcantara, this facility used to be a sugar mill.
El Ingenio Azucarero - This sugar mill, which was then known as El Ingenio, was a project of the Marqués del Duero to save on costs of having to transport sugar cane to the mills of Malaga. It opened in 1870 and later on included a winery known for producing top quality muscat wines.
La Iglesia - This church was also one of the projects of the Marqués del Duero, and served as the parish church of the town then. It was constructed in 1866 and can be found in front of a sprawling town square.