Places of Interest in Malaga
Málaga brings together a variety of monuments and places of interest for its treasures and unique buildings, most of them concentrated in the old town.
- called La Santa Iglesia Basílica de la Encarnación, was built by the Catholic Monarchs in 1528, over the Aljama Mosque or Great Mosque of the city, the work lasted until 1782, so you can admire the different styles that compose it, such as the Gothic, Gothic, neoclassical, the Elizabethan Renaissance, Baroque, etc... It is an unfinished work which main's facade and the south tower is still not totally finished, the North tower has a height of 84mts. The Baroque facade of the XVIII century has three elegant doors with medallions representing San Ciriaco, Santa Paula and the Annunciation on them. The Basilica is rectangular with three naves with a height of 42mts. The Renaissance-style interior is simple, it is noteworthy that the Chapel is lit by natural light received by the ambulatory, the Chapel of Santa Barbara in Gothic style, the Chapel of the Virgen de los Reyes, the Chapel of the Incarnation with an altarpiece by Juan de Villanueva, neoclassical style. Of note is the choir stalls made up of 42 carvings made by Pedro de Mena and the two pianos of the XVIII century with over 4000 tubes that still remains in good use. It houses the Cathedral Museum.
- Is at Molina Lario Street 9, Tel 952 215 917
Santiago Apostol Church
- It is considered the oldest church in Málaga, its construction began in 1490 on the site of a mosque. Throughout its history has undergone through several reforms which makes different architectural styles meet. From the first time of its construction preserved in the magnificent Mudejar brick bell tower, the Gothic is reflected in the high altar and access to the main hall. In the reforms in the XVIII century Baroque style appears, reflected in the left side chapel with the image of Jesus Rico, also during this time changes were introduced in the chapel vault substituting a dome and covered the wooden frame of the ship by a large vault. Currently the church is a basilica with three naves and two buttresses but originally had only one ship. In its various shrines are revered among other images the Hermandad Sacramental de Jesús de la Sentencia, the Cristo de Medinaceli, the Virgen del Rosario and la Virgen del Amor The last restoration finished in 2009, bringing to light several drawings of XVIII century and the recovery of four windows. In this church was baptized in 1881 Picasso. This monument is considered of cultural interest.
- Address: Calle Granada 78, Tel.952219661
Real Basilica and Shrine of Santa Maria de la Victoria
- It is built on the place where it was the camp of King Fernando el Catolico during the conquest of the city. Initially a chapel was built to house the statue of the Virgin that came with the entourage of the Catholic Monarchs and was credited with a miraculous intervention during the siege victory. Later they built a church and a convent but in the late XVII century it was decided to build a new one, because what it was built will not sustain reforms or future construction. The new temple was inaugurated in 1700,it has a Latin cross with a nave wider than the other, inside the Andalusian Baroque style predominates. It should be emphasized the image of Santa María de la Victoria, la Dolorosa de Pedro de Mena, la Virgen de las Ánimas de Juan Niño de Guevara and the Crypt Tomb of the Counts of Buenavista. The Church is declared to be of Cultural Interest.
- Address: Plaza del Santuario s/n. Tel.952252647
Palacio Episcopal de Málaga
- It consists of two palaces around the Sixteenth century and the second in the XVIII century. It is one of the best examples of civil architecture of Málaga and one of the major works of the author, Antonio Ramos, highlight the main facade is baroque classic style where it protrudes from the cover-altarpiece of three bodies, the last of which consists of a niche with an image of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Address: Plaza del Obispo 6, Tel.952602722
- It is considered of cultural interest. Located on Mount Gibralfaro, is the medieval Islamic military monuments best preserved in Spain. It was built in two stages, the first in the XI century with limestone from nearby quarries and the second at the end of XIII century to repair and reinforce damaged parts with walls and towers of masonry The set consists of two enclosures with crenellated walls, a palace, a neighborhood of homes and a Torre del Homenaje from the XV century. The Palace occupied three courtyards Los Surtidores, Los Naranjos and from there to La Alberca.
- Address: Calle Alcazabilla 2, Tel.952122020
- Considered of Cultural interest. On the mountain of the same name was built this fort in the XIV century, by Yusuf I of Granada, in order to protect the Fortress of artillery attacks from the nearby hills and to house the troops. It is a fortress with a double row of walls, which also contained storage tanks to maintain a garrison of about 5,000 men. It has a spectacular view from where you can enjoy spectacular views of the Bay of Málaga.
- Address: Camino de Gribalfaro 11, Tel. 952122020
- It was built in the reign of Augustus, I century a. C, used up to III century. The Arabs used the remains for the construction of La Alcazaba. The Theatre remain hidden for centuries until it was discovered in 1951 whenthe construction of gardens were taking place.
- Address: Calle Alcazabilla 8, Tel. 951041400
Saint Felipe Neri Church
- Also known as Church of de Holy Cross and Saint Felipe Neri. This church dates from the XVIII century, after several modifications based initially on a chapel built in 1720 by the Count of Buenavista. The facade of the church is classically styled with an entrance between two towers projecting a design corresponding to the end of XVIII century. It should be noted the sizes of the Virgin of the Consolation and the Archconfraternity Tears of Blood, Our Lady of Sorrows, the altarpiece of the Third Order of Servants of Mary in the sanctuary and all the work of marble and painted wood around the altar, made by José Martín de Aldehuela in 1795.
- Address: Calle Cabello 20, Tel.952211607
Church of San Juan Bautista
- It is one of the four churches that founded the Catholic Monarchs. Initially the church had a nave and side Mudejar Gothic style, over the years has undergone various changes and reforms, the tower was built in 1543 and it was demolished by an earthquake in 1680, rebuilt it in stages as tower-porch, with three floors and cornice shaped projections and balconies. Completing the construction of the Tower in 1776. In 1620 were added and modified an aisle and the altar, which was later modified and renovated in 1962. The last restoration with much improved took place in the year 2009.
- Address: Calle San Juan 3, Tel.952211283
- The Church was began on the place of the Great Mosque in 1488, it is believed to be the first work that made the Christians after the conquest of the city. Its style is Gothic-Elizabethan and from the original project is only the door from XVI century is left. It's to be highlight the magnificent Plateresque altarpiece of Juan de Balmaseda.
- Address: Calle Santa María 22, Tel. 952211935
Sacred Heart Church
- It was done by the architect Fernando Guerrero Strachan from Málaga and completed in 1920. With a basilical shape with three naves and two towers crowning the facade with a rose window, which along with the magnificent stained glass windows give light to the central nave. The project is inspired by the Cathedral of Toledo and Burgos.
- Address: Plaza de la Iglesia 1, Tel. 952556282
Capilla of Saint Lazaro
- Founded by the Catholic Monarchs in 1491, only the chapel remains of a Moorish-style nave. There is especially a neo-baroque altarpiece with the image of the Virgen del Rocío, one of San Jose of the XVII century and Jesus Nazareno de los Pasos on Mount Calvary.
- Address: Plaza de la Victoria 19.
Convent Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman
- The construction began in 1518, the Gothic-Mudejar and Baroque elements in XVII century. The Church has a basilical shape with three naves separated by arches on pillars and covered with hemispherical domes. Various reforms have been done in the monument, the last ending in 2009, with the restoration of the altarpiece of the Capilla del Rosario, which was badly damaged in the fire of 1931, also of note is the Capilla de la Hermandad del Cristo de la Buena Muerte and Our Lady of Solitude.
- Address: C/. Cerrojo 1, Tel. 952307043
Church of Santo Cristo de la Salud
- The first building to appear to the right of Calle Compañía is the Church of Santo Cristo de la Salud. The Jesuits decided after important missions in 1572 to stay in Malaga. The hermitage, not too big for worship, was built a new church that was inaugurated in September 1630.
- Address: C/ Compañía 4, Tel.952213456
Abbey of Santa Ana
- The current building, designed by Jerónimo Cuervo, in 1878, where we can find the Museum of Sacred Art. One of the most outstanding features is the classic white stone façade, with a semicircular arch flanked by caged Tuscan pilasters. The façade is centred in a niche with the image of Santa Ana, original from the 18th century.
- Address: C/ Cister 13
Chapel of Agua o del Rescate
- The Water or Rescue Chapel is a small chapel of processional origin, from the year 1800. Whose baroque style, and with local air, represents the adjoining street chapel with a facade with a large semicircular arch, and popular images. The images of the interior made in the 50s by the sculptor Castillo Lastrucci, because the originals disappeared in the Civil War.
- Address: C/ del Agua 1
Church of Santos Mártires
- XV-XVIII centuries. in the Square of the Martyrs, near the church of the Christ of the Health. Founded after the conquest, in 1491.
- Address: Pla. de los Mártires 1,Tel. 952212724
Church of the Convent of San Agustín
- The convent, dedicated to the Order of St. Augustine to teaching. Although it was founded at the end of the 16th century, the present factory of the Church corresponds to the following century (18th century).
- Address: C/ San Agustín 7
Chapel of San Julian
- Near Carretería Street, there is the Church-Hospital of San Julián, whose origin is due to the disappeared Hospital de la Caridad. Its purpose, in addition to curing the sick, was to collect the poor and the helpless. In 1680 the Hospital became a lodging for the poor and beggars as well as to assist and bury the executed. It was closed in 1821 and the church was opened in 1988.
- Address: C/ Nosquera 15