The marine animals that most worry in summer to the malagueños, the jellyfish. Follow these recommendations to know what to do in case of sting or how to avoid them.
In Malaga we enjoy wonderful beaches along its coastline, we have an unbeatable climate and the water has the perfect temperature to cool off in the hottest days, but, as in all beaches, there are times when certain marine creatures approach shore to pay us a visit.
What happens when the people of Malaga hear the phrase: “jellyfish plague”? We can say that it is the nightmare of every summer, and that is, when the jellyfish travel the coast of Malaga from east to west, even if only certain days to summer, we feel it as the end of the world, since with the heat the only thing What you want is to take a bath and cool off.
The species that most frequently visits the beaches of Malaga is the Pelagia Noctiluca, normally lasts about two and three days, but, do not be alarmed or afraid of it, only caution. In addition, the Diputacion de Malaga and the Aula del Mar have put into operation an app called ‘Infomedusa’ to know at all times the state of each beach in the province.
From Marbesol we want to mention a series of recommendations to follow to know what to do in case of sting and how to avoid them.
How to avoid a jellyfish sting?
The jellyfish use their tentacles as a defense mechanism against their predators, these tentacles have urticating cells that when touching the skin cause pain and itching in the affected area. Next, we will mention some tips that you should follow to avoid jellyfish sting:
- Pay attention to the colors of the beach flags and follow the instructions of the lifeguards.
- Never touch the jellyfish. Although they are not alive, their stinging power persists.
- Stay out of the water when there are jellyfish and avoid the areas where the waves break, as this is where they tend to accumulate.
- If you are bathing and you see jellyfish, leave carefully and tranquility of the water.
What to do in case of sting?
If after following the aforementioned advice we are stung by a jellyfish, it is necessary to carry out these guidelines:
- Go as quickly as possible to the post of ‘relief’ on the beach.
- Never scratch or rub the area of the sting, since by effect of the pressure, the stinging cells tend to be activated.
- Clean the area with saline or seawater, but never clean the wound with fresh water.
- Apply cold intermittently to relieve pain for about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a specific ointment or pain killer.
If you need to rent a car this summer to move around the Costa del Sol, trust Marbesol to enjoy your holidays. Choose the car that best suits you at the best price. Book now and take advantage of one of our succulent offers.
Check out our latest article about upcoming concerts and festivals in Malaga for this summer 2018.